Saturday, August 25, 2012

31 Plays in 31 Days: #25 - "Daughter's Daughter"

Just trying to fill the quota. I'm really behind due to crazy.

front-baby


Day #25 - "Daughter's Daughter"

ADELA: Sam.

SAM: Hey, Adela.

ADELA: You still recognize me? It’s been a while.

SAM: A real long time, yeah.

(Pause.)

SAM: How you been?

ADELA: Oh, don’t start with that nonsense.

SAM: I’m sorry?

ADELA: What are you doing here? After all this time?

SAM: I… I thought I should stop by and see you.

ADELA: You saw me ten years ago. You saw so much you got sick of me.

SAM: That wasn’t it.

ADELA: Oh, yeah? Then what was it that sent you off?

SAM: Adela.

ADELA: Well, what’s got you back now? I got nothing for you anymore.

SAM: Adela… Rosie sent me a picture. Of the baby.

ADELA: She… she did?

SAM: Yeah.

ADELA: I don’t even know how she could find you to send it.

SAM: Adela, it was the first I knew about it.

ADELA: Well, wasn’t like I knew you would want to hear.

(SAM takes the picture out of his wallet.)

SAM: She’s… she’s beautiful, Adela.

ADELA: Yeah, she is.

SAM: I like her name. Rosie wrote it on the back. Ch—Chantal? Is that how you say it?

ADELA: Yeah.

SAM: Where’d she come up with a name like that?

ADELA: Sam, what do you want?

SAM: What do you mean?

ADELA: Just tell me what you’re after so I can send you on your way.

SAM: Adela, I— I want to see her. The baby.

ADELA: Now you want to have something to do with this family?

SAM: Rosie sent this to me.

ADELA: Didn’t much matter when she was a kid.

SAM: But she still wrote to me. She wanted me to come.

ADELA: You think you can just waltz back in here like nothing ever happened?

SAM: No! I know I don’t deserve that.

ADELA: Then what do you want?

SAM: I want to see my daughter’s daughter. Like she asked me to. That’s all.

(Pause. ADELA considers.)

ADELA: If that’s what Rosie wants, I guess.

SAM: I’ll leave right after if that’s what you want.

ADELA: Be back here at six tomorrow. Rosie’s bringing the baby over for dinner.

SAM: I won’t be late.

ADELA: You’re ten years late. Don’t do it to us again, Sam.

SAM: I promise.

ADELA: I’ve heard that before.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...